WATER SUPPLY & USE
Over recent years it has become clear that our current water usage across Queensland is not sustainable. Our water resources are under increasing pressure as a result of climate change, population growth and increasing customer demand. Etheridge Shire Council together with the State Government is taking steps to ensure we have sustainable water supply systems for future generations. In 2005, the Water Act 2000 was amended to include a requirement for all Water Service Providers in Queensland to prepare, and submit for registration, a Drought Management Plan (DMP) for each service area/authority area in which the service provider supplies water. Water restrictions do apply in all of the townships within the Etheridge Shire. Please see details below.
Forsayth Water Restrictions: LEVEL 0
Georgetown Water Restrictions: LEVEL 1
The level of water in Well 1 in the Etheridge River has fallen to more than 1 metres below full. Under Etheridge Shire Council’s current Drought Management Plan this level is a trigger point for a reduction in restriction of water usage. Level 1 restriction will now apply to all water connections within the Georgetown Water Supply Scheme.
Notice is hereby given of water restrictions in accordance with the Local Government Act and the Water Act 2002 Section 388(1) Restricting water supply
The following restrictions are effective from midnight on Sunday 30th May 2021
- The use of two (2) sprinklers or soaker hoses is permitted on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays between 5.00 a.m. to 8.00 a.m. and 5.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m. only.
- The use of micro irrigation systems fitted with timers is permitted on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays between 7.00 p.m. to 8.00 a.m. (ie from 7:00 pm on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday night)
- The use of two (2) sprinklers or soaker hoses is permitted on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays between 5.00 a.m. to 8.00 a.m. and 5.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m. only.
- The use of micro irrigation systems fitted with timers is permitted on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays between 7.00 p.m. to 8.00 a.m. (ie from 7:00 pm on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday night)
- The use of evaporative cooler/air conditioners is permitted at all times.
- Use of one (1) only hand held hose is permitted at all times. The nozzle end of hoses, which are not being used in the prescribed manner, shall be placed adjacent to the tap. The hose is to be coiled adjacent the tap, when not under hand held use.